Sunday, May 24, 2015

Skip The Gym

Skip The Gym
Ride a Horse! An Interview with Christel Cole




There are many, many ways to get fit and stay fit. Going to the gym is certainly one of them, but in the Skip the Gym series, we explore alternative options. Some people don't like the gym, or don't have access to one close by. Others are just looking for something new and different to change their daily fitness routine. 

In this segment, we will meet Christel Cole, a woman who likes to be active in many different ways. In addition, she is a great person! She is an animal lover, a strong woman and a unique individual. To learn more about her, please read on!

B&D: What is your preferred form(s) of fitness, and how did you get started?

CC: I'm a bit of a cross trainer between dance, rebounder (trampoline), weight lifting, walking and riding horses [featured in the photos is her beloved horse Frankie!]. The dance and riding got started in my youth, being an avid equestrian and taking ballet as well as having a grandmother who was a toe dancer ballerina who taught me a lot about dance. Weight lifting started in high school because I wanted to be strong for jumping horses. The rebounder and walking came later in life because they both produce stress relief and are low impact.

B&D: How do you feel these forms of exercise are beneficial, as compared to more conventional gym workouts?

CC: I prefer my crosstraining over conventional gym for many reasons. For me, it keeps me from getting bored, the rebounder, weightlifting and dance can be done inside and at the spur of the moment.

B&D: Who inspires you?

CC: I'm inspired by anyone who doesn't let limitations stop them from becoming fit. I especially admire people who don't allow age or gender to be a limitation.

B&D: It sounds like you have a varied and interesting regimen! Do you have a favorite form of exercise?

CC: My 2 favorite forms of exercise are dance and riding horses because it is like dancing with horses if done right.




B&D: When you're tired or not in the mood to exercise, what motivates you?

CC: When I'm tired or lazy, my motivation is how much worse I will feel if I don't get out and move.

B&D: What does your daily diet and nutrition consist of, to fuel all of these activities?

CC: I eat whatever my body is craving. I gave up strict diets and regimens years ago because I'm prone to eating disorders and have overcome bulimia and anorexia in my life. The strictness of dieting puts me right back in that overly controlling space and diets don't work anyways. The minute you go back to eating a normal amount of calories from a lesser one, the body regains the weight plus more, in my experience. I'm working along the principles found in the book "Mindful Eating" as a way to work on healthful eating that supports me as an individual. A much better approach for my mind, body and soul.

You can find out more about Christel's eating philosophy in this book, 'Mindful Eating'.

Thank you, Christel, for taking the time to answer a few questions, with grace and honesty. Your journey and perspective is inspiring! Although some people prefer more scheduled and habitual workouts, it's nice to hear from someone who incorporates a variety of activities into their regimen. Rock on with your bat self. ^^V^^

Coming up: Next week we will have a progress update, photos, and a healthy oil-free dressing recipe. Subscribe and share so you don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment